By Anne O’Brien
WSMR Fire Department
The Fourth of July is cause for celebration by people all over the nation. Celebrations often include family, food, fun, and fireworks. The White Sands Missile Range Fire Department wants the community to know that safety should be at the fore front of everyone’s minds when fireworks are involved.
Fireworks will be permitted at Volunteer Park from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. July Fourth. The WSMR Police Department and WSMR Fire Department with Emergency Medical Personnel will standby during these times to ensure everyone stays safe.
With this, some rules will apply. Only fireworks that are legal in Dona Ana County will be permitted. Please see this website for more information https://donaanacounty.org/fire/fireworks. Bottle Rockets and fireworks in the housing area will be prohibited. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Whether you choose to celebrate at Volunteer Park or elsewhere the following precautions will help you and your family stay safe this Fourth of July Holiday:
- Fireworks should be lit on a smooth, flat surface, away from the house, dry leaves, trees and flammable material.
- Use punks to light fireworks do not use a lighter, matches or cigarettes.
- Do not lengthen or shorten the fireworks fuse.
- Do not relight duds wait at least 20 minutes before picking them up and then soak the dud in a bucket of water.
- Never ignite fireworks in metal or glass containers. Fireworks should be lit one at a time and at a safe distance from others.
- Never throw or aim fireworks at people or buildings.
- Never place any body part over fireworks.
- Finally, fireworks should only be disposed of after they have been soaked in water.
- Sparklers burn at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit so supervise children handling them.
Education is the key when it comes to fireworks, and will allow the celebration of July Fourth be exciting instead of disastrous. The White Sands Missile Range, Directorate of Emergency Service will allow fireworks to be brought onto the installation only between June 27 and July 4. For more information call the White Sands Missile Range Fire Department at (575) 678-3585 or (575) 678-2600.